Wednesday, February 11, 2009

"southern Mansion"

Did you ever read a poem like in my case, where you read the poem and it gives you the chills and draws you in the poem? Well that’s the case here I picked this poem is because I have a thing for ghosts and the description the author used really made me able to visualize it. Even though they are creepy and scary I still; love reading and watching about them. It’s something about the whole death and haunting thing that I enjoy and the fact that it has truth and history makes me like it even more. I enjoyed the poem “Southern Mansion because of all the details and description, so let me explain and give an example.

One of the first things I observed is the historical content of the poem and here I have three different phrases from the poem that relates to my observation. The phrase “chain of bondmen dragging on the ground” give you chill think about what the slaves wore and it also shows sad emotion and how the slaves were treated. The other phrase “another sound tinkling in the cotton” helps visualize the slaves back in the slavery days, picking cotton on the fields. Look at phrase three “Poplars are standing there still as death” makes you visuals slaves being lynched and hanging from the tree and this phrase is symbolic because these trees are where slaves were hung. In all these phrases you and conclude the time period of the story’s setting.

Here I have three phrases that go with my second observation from “Southern Mansion” My second observation the poem contains vivid detail and description. The first phrase states, “There is a sound of music echoing” its as if you can almost hear it yourself. My phrase is very visualizing “through the open door” it takes you to the place where everything is happening. Another phrase from the vivid section is “and standing on the marble steps” this phrase makes you visualize the ghost standing on the steps, most likely in pain from being slave.

Final observation and the three phrases my last observation of the poem is death. Phrase “ghost are walking” sends chills down my back and it’s really bizarre thinking of an empty house with ghost walking around. Chosen phrase “a hand is on a gate” makes you feel as if the people in this house are trying to escape and be free from slavery. Phrase tree “ghost of dead men” is another strange phrase that makes you wonder how they died and why.

So like I said in the beginning the poem is very descriptive and detailed, as you can see for yourself in my quotes “Southern Mansion” alone has voice in the poem. Even though you might not have a thing for ghost, if you were to read this poem you might have a change in mind about your like for ghost. Another thing in this poem that you might enjoy is the historical information that the poem contains, and the realization it has.

No comments: